Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How to Become a Runner

I'll start this off by saying that my definition of a "runner" is anyone who gets out there and runs. It doesn't matter how far or how fast or whether you mix it with walking. If you hit the pavement (or treadmill) on a regular basis and move your butt, you ARE a runner. It's not an elite club that only a select few can belong to. Anyone can do it. Trust me, if my lazy butt was able to do it, so can you!

When I first started, I was super intimidated and super ashamed of how out of shape I was. Looking back, I wish I hadn't been so hard on myself and just enjoyed the journey more. My husband is a marathon runner, and a fast one at that. I guess I was comparing myself and I just kept thinking how pathetic I was. Luckily he's super sweet and encouraged me and told me I was doing awesome when I couldn't run longer than 2 minutes at a time. I know now that I was making progress and I should've been more proud of myself. I was still lapping everyone at home on their couch!

To begin, I did the Couch-to-5K program and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to get into running. Click here for the program, which includes a schedule to follow at the bottom. You start with just running for 60 seconds at a time and over the next 9 weeks you will be amazed. By the end of 9 weeks you will be able to run a 5K without stopping and I mean it when I say that. I did just that. If you stick with it and follow the program and do it 3 times/week at least, you will get there. I'll never forget the day I was able to run 1 mile without stopping. It was glorious! It's fuel to keep going.

Before you even start the Couch-to-5K, sign up for a race if possible that's about 2 1/2-3 months away. It is so helpful to have something to motivate you and to strive for. There are 5K's pretty much every weekend around the area. Once you do one, you will be hooked and want to keep running them.

A little advice that I didn't follow in the beginning is to cross train. Ride a bike, do the elliptical, do workout DVDs, lift weights, etc. I went from a 12-minute mile to a little over a 10-minute mile once I incorporated Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and weight training. Anything that makes your legs stronger will make you a better runner.

I hope I covered everything. If there's anything you want to know, just ask! I'm not a running expert AT ALL, but I wanted to share with you what worked for me and how I started.

Here's my awesome necklace I got for Mother's Day from my hubby and kids.

2 comments:

  1. Cute necklace! I'm so glad you didn't give up. It's always nice to have great support! My husband is not a runner, but he always tries to make it to all of my races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's supporting you in his own way, which is awesome!

    ReplyDelete