Thursday, June 27, 2013

Why You Should Lift (Heavy) Weights

Once I got close to my goal weight I started to notice how I felt better, but I had some hanging skin that wasn't attractive. Why go to all that trouble losing weight if I'm just going to look flabby at the end? With the help of Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred I lost several inches and it made a huge difference. Here's my before and after pic from that (from August 2012):


My weight didn't really change but I lost 12 inches overall! (and look at the boob lift it gave me! No surgery required!)  I went on to do Jillian's other DVD, Ripped in 30 four times over a 6 month period and I was determined to tone up. It still wasn't enough though. 


I started lifting weights at the gym and I was always told not to lift too heavy or I would look like a dude. I fully believed that and it took research and advice from a few buff ladies to see that heavy lifting is where it's at. Women don't bulk up the way men do. We don't have the testosterone that men have, so it just isn't going to happen. 



Here are some reasons why you should lift heavy:

1. You may have been told that cardio is the ultimate fat burner, but that effect stops as soon as you stop. Build more muscle and you'll keep your body burning fat all day long. 



2. You'll look more defined. Let's face it, who doesn't want sexy shoulders and arms?! 




3. You'll build strength faster with heavier weights. Lifting lighter weights for more reps is great for building muscle endurance, but if you want to increase your strength, increasing your weight load is key. 




4. You'll lose belly fat. Studies have shown that women who lift heavy weight lose more intra-abdominal fat (deep belly fat) than those who just did cardio. Losing that deep belly fat not only helps you look hot in a swimsuit but it reduces your risk of diabetes and cancer. 




5. You'll feel empowered and who doesn't like feeling like a badass? Lifting weights is great for your self-esteem. 




6. Lifting weights will improve your performance in other areas, such as running or walking. By lifting weights, you are strengthening the muscles around your joints which can prevent injury and just make you better in general. 


If you don't belong to a gym (or even if you do) and you want some exercise moves to try, check out the Nike+ Training app. You can pick which muscle you want to work and get several exercises to try. 




I will post a new before and after pic at the end of summer. I've only been lifting heavy for a couple of months, so I'm still a work in progress. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment